I will be going with my church's youth group on Monday morning into the inner city of Chicago for a missions/service trip for the week. "Have you lost your mind!" you may be wondering, considering the fact that I will be with a group of adolescents for an entire week, in a wee-bit of a space... I'm actually looking forward to it. I may be biased, but I think my church has the best group of youth IN THE WORLD!! We will be a small group of 3 adults and 6 youth (great ratio!) working with the Jesus People and with a Kid's Club that meets in Cabrini Green. Cabrini Green is a public housing community that used to house around 20,000 people in high rise (and some low-rise) buildings. In the 90's, this community began to be demolished and the families dispersed. From what I can tell this is a move on the cities part to for "safety" and making it a more "beautiful" place to live. It sounds like a lot of consumerism crap to me.
The building in the background is one of the high-rise buildings being torn down to make room for shopping and luxury condominiums.
It's pretty sad that these people are being moved around like pawns that have no voices or opinions. Anytime a kid from the suburbs gets an opportunity to have their life intersect with the lives of those who have experienced something completely different--it's a good thing. I'm happy to help these kids unpack their thoughts about the whole thing. Please pray for me and the rest of the group. My prayer is that these kids would have a glimpse of a world that is much bigger than the mall--and how God is ALIVE in the city.
THEN---I'll be heading to Nashville to celebrate with my family for my Dad's birthday. 66 years of life!! We love you Papa-san!
No comments:
Post a Comment