Friday, March 13, 2009

misadventures in gardening

I don't take after my mother when it comes to loving plants well. She's one of those people that rescues the almost dead "orphan" plants at Wal-mart. I'm a murderer. Here's the evidence...


This is by far the worst case. It was a hibiscus... I haven't had the heart to break it apart and trash it yet. I tried really hard to keep this thing going--even giving it a few showers to get rid of the mites that had attacked it.
This is the latest victim. I just transplanted it into this great tea mug that one of my students gave me. It's so droopy. I'm hoping once the shock of the move wears off, the little faces will perk up.
I think this one is too crowded in the pot. The twiggy things on the right used to have tiny, cute white flowers, but they fell off. Actually, I'm not too sad about that because the scent was so strong it gave me a headache.

This one is actually doing really well. And, you can see my antique salt and pepper shakers in the background that I mentioned in a previous post.

This is my favorite one--and it's actually thriving with a new tiny, white flower that's bloomed this week. I love this bonsai tree.

1 comment:

meg runyan said...

oh millie, your poor plants. can't say that i'm that good with potted plants either. maybe i shouldn't admit that with me being a farmer and all. oops :)