Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Will I be a water walker?

This is the question that was posed to me on Sunday by the speaker at our worship service. What will I risk for the sake of obedience? Of knowing my Lord more deeply?

This, of course, has to do with choosing between the Church Planting Associate position in Japan, that has been offered to me, and the full-time English teaching position in Tokyo with the Church of God Special Assignment Missionary program, that I am applying for. The CPA is a support based ministry and the SAM position is a paid position.

At this point, it seems that to not go with Asian Access would be to say that I don't believe God will provide for me. Yes, security is a nice thing to have, but really is there another time in my life better than now to do something "risky" like this? Later on, when I have a family, security will have more of a priority, but now I have more freedom, being single.

Risk taking. This is what our Lord, Jesus was calling Peter to do...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Millie - what a wonderful idea! Now we who support you will be able to walk with you daily on your walk with God! I don't know if either of your options is the "right" way for you to get to Japan - it may be that either way you choose will work with God's plans for you and what you will do for him in Japan. Your heart seems to be sending you to Asian
Access - maybe this is a "test" for your willingness to risk everything and not take the easy way. I continue to pray for discernment for you. It's so exciting to go through this with you as you try to walk on water!
Bless you
Gloria Ruby
CCC

Kari said...

Millie!
Welcome to the Blogger family!
You conutinue to amaze me! It is so exciting to walk with you through Japan: Decision 2005. You are asking wise questions and taking carful steps! I think you are doing great! I am praying with you! Yes! Support Raising is a "faith leap"! God always provides even when it looks imposssible! Your walk is an enouragment to me! Can't wait to serve with you on this side of the Ocean!
Mata Ne!

Anonymous said...

Hi Millie, I am Jordan Byrd and I am thinking about applying to serve with Asian Acces. I was really encouraged by your post that talks about using your time as a single person to take risk, when it might not be as feasable in the future with a family. I would like to know more about your experience getting prepared to go serve with Asian Access. I hope your support raising is going well and that your faith in God growing stronger.

(jbyrd@cccb.edu)