Friday, September 29, 2006

along the path

I keep pulling parables out of my visit to the Japanese garden.

Here's one from last night, between the waking and dreaming:


I mentioned before the deliberate-ness of the construction of the garden. Everything has a purpose and a hidden meaning. The path at one point in the garden was uneven, cut into the side of a hill. As I slowly walked from stone to stone, the sound of the waterfall grew louder and more powerful. I knew I was getting ready to see something wonderful. Can you imagine walking a path similar to this one in traditional Japanese geta (wooden sandals traditionally worn with kimono)?!

In thinking about God's sovereignty, I wonder if maybe the "path of life" is more like this picture than the paved interstate that we all want. We don't want pot-holes and we definitely want mileage markers and good signage, don't we! I wonder if God has instead placed us on a path that is meant to be traveled slowly and deliberately, with eyes wide open. We can walk this path one stone at a time, taking a breather if we need it on the way up and even stop every once in a while to listen and anticipate what's ahead.

Living with purpose. Deliberately. Thoughtfully.


The steps of the godly are directed by the LORD.
He delights in every detail of their lives.
Though they stumble, they will not fall,
for the LORD holds them by the hand.
Psalm 37:23-24, NLT

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

very deep! very true! :)

Kari said...

This is such a beautiful reflection!