Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Bernie, I ate your face...

Today I dragged my body across Osaka to my teaching assignment in Minami Sakai. Why am I tired? Because I'm not a college student anymore and I forgot this. The SAM girls came down from Tokyo this weekend for a "Welcome Millie to Japan" time. It really was great, but I'm definetly tired after 2 nights of being up past 1 am. Man am I getting old...

One of the difficulties I'm having living in another culture, especially a culture that is so reserved and polite is feeling like I am half alive. Anyone who really knows me knows my hearty belly laughs and my random bursts of song. I'm still testing out the waters here, so that part of me has been lying dormant.
A friend of my gave me a "perscription" for the weekend to laugh really hard with the girls. I followed her directions fully and am feeling like I found the other half of myself that wasn't alive. I know that there are times when I must show some decorum, but I'm happy to know that I have a family in Japan that won't be weirded out by Millie just being Millie.

Here are some photos from the madness:

The party (sans Cheryl, taking the picture) on my back patio enjoying a Japanese style BBQ



I'm proud of my food sculpting skills. Bernie's face was delicious, by the way.


It says "Traditional Chocolate and Dignity." Not sure if we displayed much dignity while we inhaled these amazing chocolates or not...Chin and Helen (some Chinese friends) brought a gift of a box of chocolates over to the BBQ. We played Jankenpon (rock, paper, scissors) to see who would get to choose the first chocolate--we had an elaborate plan. I think Helen and Chin were amazed to see how fast the 8 of us made the chocolates disappear!



We had lunch in Kobe at one of 4 Old Spaghetti Factories in Japan. Yummy Carbonera!

No comments: