Wednesday, November 07, 2007

stumble and bumble along


Everyday, I am bombarded by signs with scribbles that I can’t read (yet!). I'll have to do a post someday of fun signs I've seen around Japan. When I see something in English, my eyes jump to attention and my brain scrambles to compute the message. Sometimes the English makes absolutely no sense and does nothing else but make me chuckle. Other times, I am struck by the sheer messages of Truth that are found in the strangest of places. Recently, I saw a sign at a construction site that caught my attention. Instead of the typical “Under Construction” sign that I’m familiar with, I saw this sign that read, “Reborn.” I don’t want to over-spiritualize this, but I do find it interesting that the signs of Truth are everywhere here in Japan. I saw another message of Truth as I was waiting for a traffic light to turn green. I glanced over at a small parking lot and saw a blind man walking inside a fenced-in area. It didn’t take me long to realize that he was disoriented and was feeling his way around, trying to find the exit. Fortunately, there was a woman with her daughter walking by that was able to steer him in the right direction. Tears came to my eyes as I witnessed this act of kindness happening in front of me. I thought about the spiritual blindness of this country. Paul described man as having such a need for God that we fumble about in the darkness, trying to grasp unto Him. I can’t say that my spiritual eyes are perfect. I stumble around a whole lot. But, I have hope of one day seeing clearly and knowing fully the One is who calling me deeper and deeper into the unknown.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Millie, you are on my prayer list for the Women's Ministry Council here at Woodlawn this year. I usually send cards to my prayer list but will keep in touch with you this way. I hope you have a blessed Thanksgiving and can enjoy the day with some of your friends there. You will be in my thoughts and always in my prayers. Love, Linda Collier.