Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Yes We Can!

I was at the license branch today completing the last of many steps to get my official Japanese drivers license for my scooter. Crazy strict, let me tell you.
I was anxious to hear the news about the election because I knew the results would be revealed while I was there. I waited in line and listened the a stern office worker reprimand some young girls for chatting while he gave directions for how to sign our names on a form. My friend waited for me, watching the news on her cell phone. (Gotta love Japanese technology!) After I received my license (which has a TERRIBLE picture--quite possibly the worst hair day I've ever had and a weird closed mouth smile), my friend showed me her cell phone. Obama had just finished his acceptance speech. My friend heard part of it and told me that she cried a bit. She really latched on to the "Yes We Can!" chant.

Every Japanese person I've asked says they would vote for Obama if they could. I was watching a report on CNN the other night that said the same of Europeans. Personally, I'm excited about Obama being in the White House. I was reminded of the obvious as I watched the news tonight: We have voted in the FIRST black American into office! I heard a girl say "I'm proud to be an American again." I've surprised myself in the last few months by how interesting this election has become for me. Maybe its because so many of my students are interested and I don't want to seem like an apathetic, ignorant American.

No comments: