Saturday, December 13, 2008

Thailand Day 3

Did I forget to mention that the reason we came to Bangkok was for the Asian Women's conference for the Church of God? We met some sweet women from India who greeted us with kisses on the cheeks. That's such a fun change from the formal and sometimes awkward greetings we have in Japan. These ladies were quick friends and have convinced us that our next trip needs to be to India.



During the conference, a dear new mother of the Faith, Darlene Stafford, talked about an attitude she adopted in her life a while ago. She and her late husband, Gil, call it the “Discipline of Anticipation.” They kept a joint journal where they would record “divine surprises” or instances where they knew God was active and present in their lives. At the end of this year and during this season of HOPE and anticipation, I wanted to reminisce with you all the ways that the Sacred has been near to me this year.
* The deadness of winter is always difficult for me, but every spring NEW LIFE always brings the reality of resurrection back to me. Seeing the sakura (cherry blossoms) this year was a magical time.
* Music has been a language that God has used to speak to me for a long time, but over this last year it’s been a lifeline as I’ve discovered new artists. 7 hours a week, my iPod has been my constant companion as I commute back and forth to Osaka for teaching. New voices who inspire me: Ingrid Michaelson, The Weepies, Mindy Smith, Jon Foreman and Glen Hansard.
* Over the summer, I visited with old HoneyRock friends. I loved sitting with these people with whom I have shared so much and comparing notes on the ways that God’s faithfulness has been evident. Canoeing with Andrea, Giordano’s pizza with the Havens and Meg, Hand and Foot with the Walfords. Good, good times!
* My friendships with Asako and Satoko have been llife giving this year. We plan to have a “slumber party” on Christmas Eve at my place where I will surprise them with Christmas stockings and we’ll read from Luke—just like my family does every year.
* I received a Christmas card this week from Pastor Uematsu and his wife that began: “Our dear Millie.” This relationship never ceases to surprise me as I continue to shake negative preconceptions I have.
* 3 American ladies have become really dear to me this year. Kendra and I have been meeting together weekly for prayer over Starbucks coffee. She’s an amazing sister who asks me hard questions and pushes me past apathy. Amber went back to her home in CA after a short 9 months of teaching in my town here. Our friendship has been so comfortable with many Saturdays of sleepovers and movie nights. I’m really going to miss her and Alina, who is also leaving before Christmas.

No comments: