Tuesday, February 24, 2009

loverly day

It really was a great day last Saturday when I went with some of my students to Ayabe. We started the day with a French lunch."


"Kani Miso" for starters. (ground up crab brains mixed with mashed potatoes and some Italian bread twigs) It wasn't nearly as disgusting as it sounds. It was actually quite good.

Next course: tiny veggies (yes, that's one piece each of broccoli, asparagus and cauliflower) The black half circle is jellied blow fish, some other fish I can't remember and squid ink. Again, not too bad.
Soup Course: Carrot Potage. creamy goodness.
Main Course: A mild white fish with vegetables and a tasty creamy sauce. Nice flavor. All of this was accompanied by some locally made "Ume" (plum) juice.
Dessert! That's plum ice cream under the tear drop shaped cookie thing. There was also fruit, a baked thingamabob with caraway seeds and a tea flavored custard. Yum.
And finally....my FAVORITE part.....

How sweet is this! I squealed with delight when I poured the milk in the cup because the most beautiful swirls came to the surface. Simple joys, right?

We had an amazing view of the "kira kira" (sparkling) ocean.

After lunch, we made our way up to the "Ume" (Plum) tree grove.
Spring is here!!! Hang on, my Indiana friends! She's coming soon to you too!

1 comment:

Mike Wagner said...

I'll lay money on the fact that wasn't plum "juice"