Friday, May 22, 2009

masked out

PANIC. This is the general feeling I'm getting around Kobe about the swine flu. The whole mask ridiculosity is spreading. I've heard so many outlandish stories from my students about the craziness that surrounds The Mask. All over the city, stores have sold out of masks in the flu flurry. One student noticed a group of people gathered near the train station, so she poked her head in to see what was up. A man was selling 1 mask for 500 yen (about 5 bucks)!! These are DISPOSABLE masks made from PAPER people! Every restaurant worker, convenience store clerk, bus driver and train station staff member is wearing The Mask. Announcements are being made in train stations, in stores and other public places to "please wear a mask." One student told me she wears it because of the strange looks from other people--almost a judgemental stare. Another student explained that she is being responsible in watching out for other people, wearing it for their protection. Some students regretted to inform me that they are taking on a "wait and see attitude" about a farewell party they were planning for me (I'm leaving in 2 months). They just don't know if it's wise to meet in a public place...

Are you noting the condescension in my words?! It's not a lovely attitude to take on, I admit it. But, come on, this is pretty insane, wouldn't you say?

By the way, after wearing my mask on Tuesday for a total of 4 hours, I've developed some type of minor allergic reaction and nasty pimples on my nose from the sweat. Apparently, some masks include a type of anti-bacterial chemical and my sensitive skin didn't handle it very well. ergh. Another reason I'm annoyed with the mask fiasco.

Here's a look at the many types of masks one can buy in Japan: http://www.letsjapan.markmode.com/index.php/2009/05/03/fashionable-flu-filtering-face-masks-from-japan/

No comments: