Wednesday, May 13, 2009

stinky

I've been trying to avoid news about American Idol since the airing of the show on Fox Japan is behind that of Fox in the US. But tonight, an article caught my eye about one of my favorite finalists, Danny Gokey. Here's the full article, if you care to read it. http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1611245/20090512/story.jhtml

This is the section that really jumped out at me:

Do I want Gokey to win "American Idol"? No. Would I ever buy one of his albums? Probably not. But do I think he's a terrible person? Someone worthy of scorn or ridicule? Everything that's wrong with America? Most definitely not. Because he's taught me a little something about myself. He's exposed an ugly part of my subconscious that I really don't like. And so I'm working on it. I'm not going to hate on Danny Gokey anymore. It will make me a better person.

Because Danny Gokey is what's great about "American Idol." He is the opportunity to learn about ourselves, to grow and to come together as one. To cast aside age-old divides and forge a better tomorrow. He is unity and hope, in spectacles. He's already taught me a new way — and he can do the same thing for you. Embrace him, even if you don't want to. And even if he might be kind of a jerk. Or because he is.


I wasn't aware of any type of ridicule of him with me being this side of the Atlantic, but from the beginning his story held my attention. I imagine that the words of this article would be really encouraging to Danny. I know they would be for me. As the bearers of the Light of Christ, we should always be helping others to learn, to grow, to become that which God has intended them to be. But, being the aroma of Christ isn't easy. We stink it up big time for some people, and for others we are a breath of fresh air (2 Corinthians 2:14-16) . If someone said that I have "exposed an ugly part" of their souls, I would rejoice because this is the first step of transformation. How do we go about revealing those tender spots? With love and grace that's not our own. And from there, we stick it out with the person while those wounds are healed and overcome. What a priviledge it is to work along side the Holy Spirit in caring for the souls of others.

So, stink it up Danny! We love you in Japan!

No comments: