In an attempt to experience some Japanese culture last weekend, I watched a couple of Japanese movies. Spirited Away is an anime movie (Japanese animation) written and directed by a pretty famous Japanese man named Miyazaki. I thought is was great! The main character is a little girl that finds herself in a new world of spirits that come to a bath house run by a scrooge of a woman. Along the way she makes friends that help her to return back to her world and to free her parents from a curse that has turned them into pigs. One scene that I thought was particularly intriguing involved a spirit. This gentle and helpful spirit came to the bathhouse and somehow became greedy and cruel. It began eating everything in sight--including some of the "people" there. Despite the spirit's disagreeable behavior, the little girl attends to him and explains that something in this place is making him bad. All of this "bad" stuff ends up being purged (you can guess what that means) as he leaves the place and returns to his original form.
It made me think of the sin in my life--how greedy and gluttonous I can be--taking in things that I think I need that are harming me. And how I must purge them from my life and leave those things behind me as I walk away from what is dragging me down. Jesus makes us New Creatures, doesn't he?
Check out the movie if you are curious. Maybe you'll get something out of it too. Enjoy!
Wednesday, April 05, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
We watched this movie today during our small group. We were discussing ways that we can use it to share the gospel in Japan. Millie, you are already there watching, learning, and refelcting how you can use a movie like this to share Christ. Praying for you as you continue to actively wait to be in Japan.
Post a Comment