A 56-year-old blind man in Japan, who has competed in more than 100 races, tells how he crawled out of the deep abyss of despair and rebuilt his life after a car accident robbed him of his sight about 30 years ago.
Mr. Akita was in the front passenger seat of a colleague's car when the windshield shattered and damaged his eyes. He tumbled into the depths of despair and his rage toward his colleague burned inside him, as he realized he would never see the face of their new born daughter.
Fortunately, his wife vowed to share in his sorrows, and his friends rallied around and made him feel that life was worth living.
In June 1982 he obtained licenses as an acupuncturist and massage practitioner, and opened a clinic. To maintain his health and to serve as a role model for his patients, he began jogging. Escorted by other runners, he participated in many races in Japan and abroad, including marathons.
Mr. Akita loves to tell his story in primary and middle schools and tries to inspire those who are down-hearted.
He tells them: “There are some things I might not be able to do, but I had enough courage to take one step forward at a time, and indeed many of my wishes came true.”
“Enjoy your life and do your best with a radiant face, is the motto by which I live every day,” he says as he seeks to encourage those who are discouraged.
Source: Yomiuri News, 2005-06-27
I have been a blind marathon runner myself as I've been pacing out these last 2 years. Not exactly able to see where God was taking me or how I was going to get there, I pressed on, running the race that was laid out before me. I love how this man said that he had enough courage to take one step forward at a time for his wishes to come true. That's very biblical and true! We can only focus on the here and now because that is all we are guaranteed. I want to live faithfully each day, making the most of every moment that God gives me.
Wednesday, July 11, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment