One of the girls added a special flare to hers by cutting the ends of the tissue paper fan into points. It looked way cooler than mine and I tried to communicate to her that I liked her different style. Unfortunately the word for wrong and different are the same in Japanese and this seemed to confuse her a little bit. Still bumbling along... Oh well.
Sunday, May 18, 2008
Mum's Day
After procrastinating for weeks, I finally got my Mom's package in the mail (a day AFTER mother's day!) For my church's Halleluia Kids program, I led a simple 15 minute craft that turned out pretty nice. I found an idea on the internet and went searching for tissue paper at the 100 yen store, only to discover that they had an entire kit with the EXACT supplies I needed! All for 100 yen. It's a tissue paper flower attached to a pen with cute tape. LOVE IT! 

Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hi Millie -
I can so relate to your struggles with Japanese, and my early days in Israel and trying to learn Hebrew. I don't think you can ever really understand a culture until you can speak and understand the language. There is so much you miss because you just don't get what is going on around you, so many little things, like jokes, and the news on TV, and all the comments you just tune out because you don't understand - yet. But I did it, and you can too, it just takes a while. Just keep at it, and KEEP TALKING, even if you feel like an idiot. People like it that you're trying, and we don't learn without making mistakes. One of these days you'll realise that you were saying something without translating from English or thinking about it at all, and that you are starting to think in Japanese. And when you start to think in Japanese, you'll find that you are starting to really "get" the Japanese people.
God Bless you Millie, you've come so far on this journey, and I'm so proud of you.
Gloria
Post a Comment