Tuesday, May 27, 2008

uhhhh. okay.

This is why I don't talk to other foreigners in the train stations: I've seen the same guy at the same station waiting for the same train as me for the last couple of months. For some reason, I always avoid having conversations with other foreigners. I'm not exactly sure why. I'd like to think that I'm a pretty friendly person and like talking with people.

Today, it couldn't be avoided. Before I knew it, I was standing in line right behind this guy. We got on the train and I started my move toward an open standing spot. I was cut off at the last minute and needed to move. Shoot. The only open spot is next to the foreigner. I sat down and bit the bullet. "I've seen you around here for a while," was my introduction. After some awkward "how-do-you-do's" I found out he's been living in Japan for the past 3 years. Okay, don't get me wrong. I really am interested in learning about other people and why they do what they do, but this was just SO awkard. I inquired about his Japanese ability. He said he does alright and then proceded to make a point in telling me that his JAPANESE girlfriend helps him in that department.

OKAY, buddy! I wasn't even going there. But thank you very much for putting me in my place.

AWKWARD!!!! I think I'm going to start riding in a different part of the train.

1 comment:

Mike Wagner said...

So I had a similar experience except the first time I was literally pushed right up against the guy. We both had ear phones in so se could quietly retreat to our own little worlds. But I so didn't want to be pushed up against him. A Japanese person, no problem. I kept seeing him and thought someday I have to say something to him. He seemed oblivious to me anyway. Now the trains have changed and I haven't seen him for awhile. But I do understand your dilemma.