Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Listening

I get an email daily from The Fish Tank, which is a devotional thought written by John Fischer. The writings are hit and miss, as these things usually are, but I thought this one was worth sharing. I know that my ears have been trying to tune in to the voice of the Lord a lot lately, so maybe yours are too.

Listening by John Fischer

Recently at a mountain retreat, I spent some time alone with the Lord. In the morning fog, I walked until I came to a lookout spot where I could climb up on a large boulder and sit in front of a panoramic view. The sun was just breaking through the fog as if on cue, revealing a valley surrounding a deep blue lake. Early boaters were knifing through the water leaving short white streaks in their wake. Too far away to hear their motors they seemed to be tiny toys silently and mysteriously propelled. I was longing for God to speak to me—audibly would have been great, but I would take anything. It wasn't until later that I realized he did.

You see, I asked God to speak to me…
And he whispered with a cold wind on one side of my face,
and warmed me with the early sun on the other.
I will counter the cold in your life with my warmth.

I asked God to speak to me…
And he sang to me in the birds.
I have taken pleasure in you.
Do you not know that I have actually danced over you with singing?
You are mine.

I said, "Lord, speak to me…"
And he warned me with the barking of a dog.
Spirit of fear, leave! Go! Let oppressive things be gone!

I asked the Lord to speak to me…
And he lifted me up and set me on a rock.
I foreknew you and I predestined you to be conformed to my image.
Were not my plans known even before you were born?

I asked God to speak to me…
And the deep water reflected the blue of the heavens.
Do you not know that I am?
I am that I am; and I am yours.

I asked God to speak to me…
And a large fat blue jay land landed four feet away
and jabbered his head off in my direction.
Do you not know that I have spoken?
Can you not hear me?

No comments: