In my morning Bible reading the other day I read about King Uzziah, perhaps for the first time. I don't remember his story before. In case you don't either, check out 2 Chronicles 26. King Uzziah had some major success in his history as a king, but pride was his downfall and he sinned by waltzing into the temple to burn incense in the sanctuary. He stepped outside of God's command and took on a role that didn't belong to him. The act of worship itself was a good thing, but the way he went about it was bad. He ignored the laws that were in place because he thought they didn't apply to him. And when the priests came in and confronted him--he was filled with RAGE. The result: he was struck down with leprosy and was cast out of the temple permanently, even being stripped of the honorable burial of a King, being instead buried in an outer field with the leper title forever following him.
Compare this reaction to that of Kind David, who majorly messed up with Bathsheba and having her husband murdered. When the prophet Nathan confronted him about his sin, he was immediately humbled and he confessed with no excuses. I love the language of Psalm 51--the utter brokenness of David is so evident. He admits his need and then realizes that it is only the Lord who can renew him. He pleads for the life of his child, and grieves over his sin, but when the child dies, he rises up and WORSHIPS THE LORD. This is simply amazing to me.
How much do I whine when I have to live through the consequences of my own sin? I don't accept the Lord's will so easily. I kick against his discipline and his best for my life because it's uncomfortable and goes against what I want. I don't want to be enraged and bitter against the Lord for difficult times in my life. I want to have a pliable heart like David. A heart that is being shaped into the likeness of Christ.
Sunday, June 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment